Are you tired of staring at your TV sitting on a stand, taking up precious floor space? Mounting your TV above a fireplace can be a great solution to reclaim that space and create a sleek and stylish look in your living room. However, it's not as simple as just hanging the TV on the wall. Here are 6 useful tips on how to mount a TV above a fireplace.
1. Choose the Right TV Mount The first step to mounting a TV above a fireplace is selecting the right TV mount. Make sure the mount is compatible with both the size and weight of your TV. There are different types of TV mounts, including fixed, tilting, and full-motion mounts. Consider the height of the fireplace and the angle of the TV when selecting the mount.
2. Find the Right Spot The next step is to determine the right spot for your TV. Ideally, the center of the TV should be at eye level when seated. Measure the height of your fireplace and add the height of the TV to find the total height. You can use a tape measure or a laser level to ensure the TV is centered correctly.
3. Check the Wall Before mounting the TV, it's essential to check the wall's stability and make sure it can support the weight of the TV and mount. Use a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall and mark them. Avoid mounting the TV on drywall, as it's not strong enough to support the weight of the TV.
4. Run the Cables Once you've selected the right spot for your TV and checked the wall's stability, it's time to run the cables. You can run the cables through the wall or use a cable cover to hide them. Running the cables through the wall requires cutting a hole behind the TV and another one behind the entertainment center or the cable box. This method provides a clean look and reduces the risk of tripping on the cables.
5. Mount the TV Now that you've selected the right mount, found the right spot, and run the cables, it's time to mount the TV. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to ensure proper installation. Make sure the mount is level and secure. Test the mount by gently tugging on it to ensure it's firmly attached.
6. Adjust the TV Finally, adjust the TV to the desired angle and height. Most TV mounts allow for some adjustments, so take advantage of them to get the perfect viewing angle. If you're mounting a large TV, you may need a helper to assist you with this step.
Mounting a TV above a fireplace requires careful planning and attention to detail. By following the steps outlined above, you can create a stylish and functional entertainment center that saves space and adds value to your home. Remember to choose the right mount, find the right spot, check the wall's stability, run the cables, mount the TV, and adjust it to the desired angle and height. With a little patience and some elbow grease, you can mount your TV above your fireplace in no time!